Articles by Laxmaiah Manchikanti, MD
and Mahendra Sanapati, MD

How Do You Choose An Interventional Pain Management Physician?

In medicine there are many specialties such as primary care physician, cardiologist, orthopedic surgeon and many others. Interventional pain specialists are educated and trained to treat chronic, persistent pain. You should look for an Interventional Pain Physician who has special qualifications, such as fellowship training or board certification in pain medicine. A relationship with a pain physician is long-lasting, or even life-long. You should check to see if the physician can make independent decisions without influence from others. Also, make sure when a physician leaves town or your insurance changes, you will still be covered.

Chronic pain is very complex. It is difficult to diagnose and treat. An Interventional Pain Physician uses many tools to diagnose the exact cause of your pain. One of the most important tools is you, the patient. It is important that you describe not only where the pain is, but also what kind of pain it is, how it started, and what effect it has on your life. This gives your Interventional Pain Physician the clues needed to make an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

Remember: A doctor who cannot take a good history and a patient who cannot give one are in danger of giving and receiving bad treatment.